Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thing #22 Ning

When I say "Ning" I'm not speaking Klingon or any other alien verbage. I'm talking about the cool tool online we can all use for focused social networking. I say focused because you can join or start your own social network that is centered on a main topic of interest. For example, after reading my last few blogs everyone knows that I'm a fisherwoman and a John Mayer fan. So, with Ning I could create or join a fishing social network or a John Mayer fan club social network.

Those are examples of using Ning in my personal life. In my professional life, Ning can also be used extensively. One Ning social network I explored was a Texas School Librarians Ning. This network could be helpful in getting useful tips and sharing ideas with other School Librarians in Texas. One current discussion talks about some profanity in a couple of the 2009/2010 Lonestar Reading List picks. It was very interesting and informative to read about other people's takes on the subject who are in this line of work for a living also. I even recognized other librarians from my district on this network site.

No doubt, Ning will be another helpful tool I will be plugged-into as a future librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment